March 23, 2012

Designer Toy Collection Website Three Directions

Direction #1 - Vinyl Monsters
"A collection of creative creatures"

Vinyl Monsters, utilizes a roll over navigation that shifts from archer regular to bold on mouse over. The homepage features the complete collection of vinyl toys heads alone. On mouse over the full body would appear. This theme is also serving as a test for use of the drop shadow on my vectors and some aspects of information display for example the collector information. My header typeface is Spring. The little monster image in the header is taken from the face of the Superdeux Dunny which happens to be the most popular of those in my collection. 

Note for Marty: Personally I'm really questioning the use of the heads alone for a roll over. I think a drop shadow on mouse over or something simular might be more visually pleasing and not as harsh. I really like the use of drop shadow but I think I just have to be really careful with the amount of it that I use. Thanks for letting us submit the work this way so we can attend the workshop. I'm looking forward to your feedback. 






Direction #2 - Plastic Planet
"A collection of designer toys"

Plastic Planet, is about the collection as a whole. Plastic referencing the primary material that designer toys are made out of and planet to tell the user that there are many toys to look into on this site. The header typeface is Ribbon, and the other copy is futura book, and bold. After creating this one I have decided that I think two rows of toys works better than three. 

Home screen. This particular concept does not utilize a roll over image function like the concept below. 

Toy profile with collector data and infographic. 



Direction #3 - Unboxed Ltd. (Unboxed Limited)
"Unleash your vinyl side"

Unboxed Ltd. is a direct relation to the unboxing of a designer toy the first time you purchase and open the box. Typically designer toys come in blind assortments which makes certain ones much rarer than others. Which is why included limited. This is much of the appeal of designer toys. The hunt. Hence the limited colors. Most sites that I have researched in the process of this project utilize a formula some what simular to this. Lots of white space and black text. Max contrast with the bright imagery.This concept is supposed to be the tough guy / i'm a bad ass kind of concept. You have to drink a red bull to even open the page. Maybe I can do that through HTML5 or augmented reality... haha. 


Home page shows each toy's head

Roll over state shows full body. 

Toy profile, with facts, and infographic. 



2 comments:

Marty Maxwell Lane said...

These are all three really strong and flushed out directions. This is exactly the quality that I was looking for today, so nice job meeting the deliverables.

I think the first option is the strongest. I agree about needing the bodies of the toys -- floating heads are weird (ha) and leave out too much important information. I think the typographic header needs more exploration, it's a little stale at the moment. Try to integrate that monster guy with the type more. Have fun. I could go either way with the language of "vinyl monsters" or "plastic planet", both are good. With the navigation, I would break up the sorting methods in some way. Meaning, the sorting methods should be somehow distinct from the home/about/infographs/etc.

I love the micro page. Only suggestion is that you don't need that orange line separating the toy from the info graph. Within the info graph, Make the title a little more dominant and be careful your supportive text isn't getting too small, hard for me to judge with the screen grabs.

Nice work, Eli.

Homework: refine one design direction. let's see the final macro and micro again. Also a finish all info graphs and have them placed in the appropriate pages. Shoot me an email if any of this is unclear or if you have questions. Hope the workshop was good!

Eli Sebastian Brumbaugh said...

Thank you very much Marty!

I really glad that everything was what you wanted to see. I will take your advice and move forward with the project. I'll be sure to e-mail you if I run into any questions my classmates can't answer!