September 12, 2010

IBM Logo Experiment

I chose the IBM logo for this project for a few different reasons. The first of which would be because I was interested in studying the work of Paul Rand who created such well known corporate identities as IBM, ABC, UPS, Enron (LOL), Westinghouse, and NeXt Computers (Steve Job's Company after leaving Apple). The second being the interesting shift in design theory from Modernism into Postmodernism in which Paul Rand was an out spoken critic of postmodernist theory and aesthetic in design.

Some more info about Paul Rand: Wikipedia, and Paul-Rand.com

Here are a few examples of what I put together experimenting with Illustrator. A program I have a lot of respect for which I have little experience with thus far other than using it for live tracing gig poster designs. 


No comments: