October 21, 2011

Interactive Timeline Final

While working on the Union Station Timeline project I learned how transitions play a key role in the process of improving storytelling through mediums such as film. Using translations like the action edit, directional edit, form edit, concept edit, and combined edit as some of the ones we discussed. As well as linear versus non-linear storytelling. I learned that you could nest files within other files in after effect. I learned about the importance of making design moves to reinforce the store telling process rather than polish a poorly told narrative. Ways to build up the content and deliver it to the viewer. Most importantly of all I learned to scale back on the amount of feature bloat one can put into a project. I enjoyed add features because hey who doesn't like being able to show and design neat ways for people to interact with the work. But in this case it was too much and I found that rather humbling to realize that there are cases that in fact less options are enough options. Pairing down and scaling back is something I am having to learn and this project was great for that. I don't want to get into the concept of our video or how this ties into but working with our fictional character "John" but it was a really interesting experience working out a storyline using a persona over the process of a user experience. UX is something I find very interesting and hope to pursue more in the future. 


No comments: