September 23, 2011

Tender Buttons Final

Objects in Space. An Anthology of Poems by Gertrude Stein.

I chose to name my anthology "Objects in Space" because every poem that I selected is from the Objects collection. These individual poems or "objects" float in the folds of the composition. Each one ideally could be arranged endlessly in a plaine that has only rules to break. The sections of text have been broken up, and re-assembled over top an axis of folds. This allows for a fluctuation in the sense of depth and the creation of several viewpoints of which the viewer can explore all parts of the composition as a whole in the cubist spirit. I chose to represent Stein's works using a visual method that could be manipulated physically by the shuffling of pages allowing the viewer to change the meaning of the message in each line. This is part of the cubist spirit that encompasses my concept. I wanted the viewer to feel that they had total control of not what Stein was saying but what they were saying at the not only as the viewer but as a fellow creator. I would like to image that had Picasso and Stein sat down together with a jumble of letters and canvas they would have composed something like this.


* Moments Book not displayed






















No comments: