March 2, 2011

KCAI Print Center - Branding & Sustainable Design Project

I do my work study in the Print Center here on campus. Since I started last August I've been talking with Aaron the print center manager about some ideas to promote the print center. At the moment I have put together a simple blogspot with all of the prices and information about the center, and a new recycled transportation box, and a few designs to help advertise the center. 

One big concern Aaron and I had was how to make the print center more sustainable. Below I have outlined some of the design work and methods used. 

Print Center Transport Box Wrap

We had a bunch of left over 44" x 4.5" boxes that the plotter paper comes in. So Aaron and I decided to reuse them as reusable transportation boxes for student prints. The printer ink being used is expired we're using up instead of throwing out. Black and various layers of opacity is the only color I'm working with because we don't want to waste color ink for any advertising if we can avoid it. 

On a side note once this expired ink is run, I will be reverting to a light shades of gray and less black mode of design. As well as recycled paper. 

My concept behind this design was to create an informative advertisement that resembled a spool of paper on paper roller spindle behind the plotter. The information being listed is so important because at this point I don't think the center has received enough promotion. Students rarely know when its open or where its located at. These informative boxes can help promote, inform, and protect. 

On a side note all test prints, mess up's, and waste prints are being saved up for a recycled sketchbook project. So I encourage everyone to leave your test print in the center after you give it the go ahead. 




This is a simple homepage place holder image on the Print Center Blogspot as a single image post. 

Sidebar object. 

If anyone is curious about any ways that they can make their design work more sustainable here are a few links. Wikipedia - Sustainable Graphic Design // One Hundred Things // Lovely as a Tree

No comments: