March 5, 2011

Current Perspectives - Keetra Dean Dixon

Best current perspectives yet!  During this lecture I found what I thought were a large amount of similarities between myself and Keetra Dean Dixon. For example we both enjoy including illustration in our designs. She also sees the importance of being well rounded and diverse in her capabilities as a designer. As soon as I finish my BFA in Graphic Design I plan on expanding on it by attending grad school for something along the lines of interface or web design. There's just so many interesting branches of design that we can take part in. Her one-a-days were really intresting and inspiring. It seems like a really good way that I can stay up to date with my own personal projects. Her use of java scripting and illustrator along with Photoshop and automator brings to light some new possibilities to explore. She also mentioned body storming or brain storming a space by being in the space of where the installation will be installed and pacing the space making mental notes to create a plan of attack.  The way she approaches collaboration really makes me want to work on a large team project. I was really impressed by her large hacked constructions and customized mini extruder. This brings something to mind I think I forgot about when I first went into design was the enjoyable fine arts aspect of creating large scale hand objects and set creation. There is absolutely no reason at all why we as graphic designers cannot transcend other forms of media and apply out insight and formula to the problem at hand. I want to end this post on a few key things that she had given up as advice at the close of her lecture. "take risks" "mess up more" and "don't be so timid and scared"