February 7, 2011

Modern Geek - Mock-Up Critique

 Modern Geek
a novel about the emerging culture




Cover:

I changed the key descriptive words on my cover to be in the same order as my spreads that way my key words act as index of my book giving the reader a taste of what to expect.

I changed the keyword type to the Avenir san-serif type face to compliment my Bodoni title type face. One thing I'm questioning right now is if I should include a third type possibly for the description of the book.

I have reworded the blurb about the book at the base of my cover to avoid any keywords that share my title's name. The new blurb is "A novel about the emerging culture." Prior to this change it was "A novel about the culture." I use the word emerging because "geek" culture has been noted as on the surge. Much of the items in my book labeled as part of "geek" culture are so common now that it might not seem like its that out of the ordinary. This assumption only strengthens my theme. 

I also worked on fixing the tracking of my title. Upon closer inspection I wonder if the "ee" in "geek" is tracked out too far. 

Spreads Layout Concept:  All of my spreads share a similar pattern in which the images scale from larger in the center to smaller towards the edges.

Science Fiction Spread: I changed some of my images to be more three dimensional. This proved to be harder than I expected because few people have made a point to document the sides of popular science fiction novels. 

I think that I should stop relying on stock images and shoot them myself from now on.

Glasses Spread: I removed the smaller pairs of glasses on either side of the main two pairs of glasses. Originally I had composed them this way to resemble a pair of glasses made up of four pairs of glasses. I realize now though the concept is interesting, it isn't visually appealing. 

I added two more pairs of glasses of different appearance to the top of the composition to help balance out the overall layout. I added one new pair of glasses to the bottom of the layout of the same kind as the main two pairs before. 

I also removed the branding from the glasses.

Video Game Spread: I rotated some of the video game boxes in relation to the direction that each of their respective consoles were rotated to give them a sense of unity and also to make the layout more appealing visually.

TV Spread: I added two more televisions to the spread helping to balance the center weighted layout. 

Energy Drinks: I added two new products to the list and replaced the center image with a more dynamic image showing a different view of the most popular and well know product.

Computers: I re-arranged the computer images on the outside edges into a more "X" shaped layout giving the eye a plane to follow. 

Chairs Spread: I expanded the center images to remove the excess white space in an attempt to balance out the overall composition. I worry though that the images are lack luster and should be replaced by more interesting products.

Flash Drives: I replaced all flash drives that appeared to resemble other things besides flash drives. I made a mistake in thinking that the images of flash drives that were more "geeky" for my theme worked better than images that still fit the criteria that would also prove to be much more successful artifacts to pull from in the next step of the project. 

Star Wars Toys: I made an effort to find more 3D images of Star Wars toys in the packaging but this have proved to be very difficult. I believe I will have to shoot these myself to attain the proper level of quality and dynamic that I wish to show in my book.

No comments: