May 9, 2012

Sculpture Explorer Passport Final Documentation


While working on this collaborative project for the Nelson-Atkins I experienced what I would have to say has been the best exposure and experience that I have had thus far regarding utilizing user testing, and client feedback. Sure the project was a lot of fun to create, this actually really being my first time to design for children I have to say it was a blast... But what blew me away was how as time progressed through the project and we jumped design hurdles and witnessed the project evolve based on that testing and feedback it became something we were really both proud of. Towards the end of it we felt confident and proud of what we had created regardless if it was selected or not. That feeling is one that I want to continue to strive for as my career here at KCAI unfolds. 

Working collaboratively was also a really good experience for this project in particular because of the different skill set Michael and I each had and strived to divide up select tasks to best utilize the other. A challenge also arose from this collaboration and mixed skill set... We had to blend our separate styles together into a seamless design that appeared designed by a team and not just two sperate designers. Regarding the design working on something for children started off as quite a challenge. We wanted to keep the work attractive to parents but also to their children. Finding what we would call simple sophistication was an eye opener to designing for this particular kind of experience. Designing way finding became one of the biggest challenges we faced and where user-testing day really helped us out a lot. Michael stuck to his guns and really made that perspective map work with the feedback we received. By not abandoning our ambition to create a perspective map instead of a top down I think really helped the map stand out. Utilizing a mini top down map along side it allowed us to not only break the mold but also hold on to what was successful before. Moving forward I would like to spend more time with the user, and keep pushing to better implement the cares and concerns of the user I have in mind. 

Presentation:



Context Shots:




User Testing Day Shots: 







No comments: