January 30, 2013

Career Goals & Strategy


Career Goals:

Through my time at KCAI and my own personal experience freelancing as a Graphic Designer and Illustrator I have come to realize many things. I think the biggest one of these is the fact that I want to pursue a career as a interactive designer. I would like to primarily take over the role of preferably User Experience Designer or if necessary Visual Designer. I have discovered a strong passion designing for the screen. Be it iPhone, iPad, Web, etc. I believe that mobile is the future and at this point in time we are still able to transition from students to professions at an incredible time when there are no real masters of the craft and there is still room to make a big impact if you're willing to take the risk. I'm hopelessly addicted to technology from wireframing to implementation. 

Strategy: 

I will have interned at four locations: Design Ranch, The Nelson-Atkins Museum of Fine Art, Mutual Mobile, and Propaganda3 by the time I graduate. Two of which I greatly hope will give me offers post graduation. I am currently in contact with my last internship location at Mutual Mobile in Austin, Texas which I really enjoyed is currently rolling out the Directory app I created and designed. I am also in contact with several employees of Huge Inc. in NYC. I have just applied for the Huge UX, and VD School that I hope I will be accepted to. If that two month crash course program goes well I will have a shot at transitioning into a full time employee. I also plan on applying to a hand full of other locations around the country. I am not against staying in KC if the job is right, but my adventurous side is calling me to move on to the next place. 

I would be happy to accept the role of Associate Visual Designer, more preferably Associate User Experience Designer. I would be willing to cut my teeth as a production artist if need be because I want to work my way up through a good company. If I start at entry level, I would like to transition from Associate Designer to designer in 1 year. I would like to jump from Designer to Senior Designer in another two-three years. The firms i'm looking at and talking with are growing fast enough that I believe that this would still be possible. 

No comments: