January 27, 2012

What I learned About The Web in 2011 Reading Response

One of the things that really interests me about this article is the excitement that these designers and developers feel for the future of the web. It makes me pull my hair out because I know it will still be a while before I can get out there and cut my teeth on it. Though I am looking forward to the projects that we have lined up! User experience, interface design for web and mobile is something I can't learn enough about. I think its just really exciting and fascinating. 

Aarron Walter, user experience lead at Mail Chimp talks about how emotions effect every decision that we make as a user/consumer so it only makes sense for designers to structurer their design with those emotions considered. Understanding that emotional response allows for designers to create better experiences. I agree with what Walter is saying here. Emotions are at the heart if what purchases people make in stores and online. I think it would be foolish to think there isn't an emotional involvement in the process of how they get to the online store they'll use or even physical store. The very car they'll drive there is a huge emotional purchase. 

Jeff Croft, discuses how the job of a web designers and developers has been changing rapidly. More and more of the web is API's (application programming interface's) and other services are on the rise. Apps like Instagram are widely used now and simular services are on the rise. I think that there will for a while at least be a place for actual sites to exist but all sites have to be mobile friendly, and open to rapid change for new mobile devices. 

Regarding mobile design Josh Clark's statement had some wisdom in it I think. "if content isn’t available on mobile, it’s simply not available at all." 25% of mobile users don't rely on a desktop anymore. 

Kimberly Blessing, mentions silent browser updates becoming the norm. Thinking back to IE updates its no wonder that the death of IE older versions are celebrated in the web community. I think designers / web designers & developers really listing to the feedback from the user is leading the design community to new leaps and bounds. At the heart of this I think is the user base that isn't as overwhelmed and confused by the way the browsers work. Submitting feedback is implemented into every browser now for good reason. 

No comments: